No. 556, Nguyễn Văn Cừ Street, Long Biên District, Hà Nội
No. 7, Đào Duy Anh Street, Hà Nội
LEADERS OF THE CENTER
Nguyễn Văn Thùy
Lê Hoàng Anh
Nguyễn Thị Nguyệt Ánh
HEADS OF DIVISIONS OF THE CENTER
Phạm Quang Hiếu
Head of Administration Office
Nguyễn Hữu Thắng
Deputy Head of Division of Environmental Mornitoring
Dương Thành Nam
Deputy Head of Division of Monitoring System and Equipment Calibration
Bùi Hồng Nhật
Head of Environmental Laboratory
Nguyễn Như Tùng
Deputy Head of Environmental Laboratory
Văn Hùng Vỹ
Deputy Head of Division of Database and Information system
Nguyễn Hùng Minh
Head of Dioxin Laboratory
INTRODUCTION OF CENTER FOR ENVIRONMENTAL MONITORING (CEM)
I. FUNCTIONS AND MANDATES
Center for Environmental Monitoring (CEM) is a subsidiary body under the Vietnam Environment Administration (VEA), to be established by the Decision No. 132/20067QB-TTg of Prime Minister regulating the functions, mandates, obligations, organization of VEA. CEM performs the function of assisting the Director General of VEAin organising and implementing the national environmental monitoring, managing environmental monitoring dala, applying information Technology in environmental monitoring, preparing reports on environment within the framework of VEA's fund ions and mandates; to be the focal point of national monitoring network.
II. SUBSIDIARY DIVISIONS
1. Administration Office
2. Division of Monitoring System and Equipment Calibration
3. Division of Database and Information system
4. Environmental Laboratory
III. MAIN ACTIVITIES
1. ENVIRONMENTAL MONITORING
* Participating in preparing plan, designing and deploying the national environmental monitoring network; Performing the operation, supporting and providing technical guidelines for entire network's activities;
* Building, organizing and implementing the national environmental monitoring programs (river basins, the Focal Economic Region, trans boundary environment...)
* Participating in instructing and inspecting ministries, sectors and localities, enterprises/industrial zones in implementing monitoring programs, procedures, technical guidelines, quality assurance and quality control (QA/OC). application for enivironmental monitoring norms.
2. LABORATORY AND ENVIRONMENTAL ANALYSIS
* To be a national focal point in implementation of environmental arbitration analysis. Participating in providing guidelines and inspecting the implementation of procedures, technical guidelines, QA/QC, environmental analysis norm:
* Environmental Laboratory is equipped with advanced and high accurate equipment; analysis of environment quality: air, water, soil/sediment...; analysis of pesticides and organic trace contaminants including: chlorophenols, PCBs, PAHs... in environmental samples as soil, water, sediment, biota...; analysis of heavy metal trace; implement and strictly n consultancy, supervision of international experts.
* Organise annual tests of environmental inter-laboratories; Participating in assessing, certifying the environmental analysis qualified units
3. CALIBRATION FOR ENVIRONMENTAL MONITORING EQUIPMENT
* To be a focal point (or implementation of calibrating environmental monitoring equipment (verification standardization) for national and local environmental monitoring stations as well as for the units/organisations which implement environmentalmonitoring;
* Calibration Laboratory is equipped with modern and high accurate equipment in order to calibrate and verify air and dust analysis module of fixed and mobile automatic environmental monitoring stations of air and water;
4. DATA ANALYSIS AND PROCESS
* To be a focal point in consistently managing environmental monitoring data and environmental inspeclation. To be mainly responsible for the construction, management and development of databases, information system on environmental monitoring;
* To build, manage and develop environmental information systems, Geographic Information System (GIS) on environment, environmental databases. To be mainly responsible for the construction and provide guidelines on collection, management and exploitation, usage of national environmental indicators, environmental statistics.
* To prepare and provide guidelines for nationaffministeriatfsectonal/local State of the Environment Report; Prepare different types of environment reports.
5. INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT AND APPLICATION
* To act as a Center for Environmental - Monitoring of national network. Build IT infrastructure for national environment monitoring network; To burfd databases and solfwares for management and exploitation of environmental monitoring data; To apply technology of romote sensing, telecommunications, information technology in environmental monitonng; Build and develop Tetemonltoring systen softwares applied in environmental monitoring;
6. INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION
To be a focal point in implementing the international cooperation projects:
* Disdose environmental iilbrmalion to the community (funded by World Bank): 2001 - 2002
* Environmental information and reporting (funded by DANIDA): 2004 -2006
* Project of "Registration of contaminated sites in Vietnam" (Germany)
7. DIOXIN LABORATORY
* Project of building Dioxin Laboratory funded by Bill 8 Melinda Gates Fund and Atlantic Philanthropies wilh the total budget of 5.400.000 USD.
* The project's objective is to improve the capacity in analyzing Dioxin, Furan and other organic pollutants which are hard to degrade.
8. SERVICES, CONSULTANCY AND TRAINING SUPPLIER
* To supply services of consultancy and training on monitoring, analyzing, calibrating environmental monitoring equipment; deploying and applying IT in environmental monitoring and processing environmental monitoring data;
To implement services of environmental monitoring, calibration for environmental monitoring equipment, environmental analysis, build enivronmental information system, environmental GIS, environmental database.
9. MAIN RESULTS AND PRODUCTS
* Implement Ihe projects ol disclosing environmental information to community; Environment Information Reporting (EIR);
* Built and issued products as CD-ROM "Green Environment" (annually, from 2000 to 2008) with collective and plentiful information covering numerous fields that serve (or management and environmental protection work. CD-ROM on Vietnam Red Book; CD-ROM ATLAS on environment of 8 Focal Economic Regions ot Vietnam; map of Vietnam's nature conservation;
* Built and developed Databases and softwares on Environmental monitoring data management, environmental legal documents. Environment Impact Assessment (El A) solfware, Vietnam Red Book, Chemical substances Database, database of Vietnam's environment standard. e!c
* Participated in building legal documents, technical guidelines on environmental monitoring, environmental reports;
* Built and operated 2 electronic boards in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh city to disclose environment information to public;
* Strengthened the capacity of air and water environmental automatic monitoring : Build, install and operate fixed automatic air environmental monitoring station at 556 Nguyen Van Cu Street, Long Bien District. Hanoi (in 2008) and inDaNangcity (in 2009).
10. ESTABLISHMENT AND DEVELOPMENT
1996 - 2002: Division of Database and Computer Network of National Environmental Protection Agency (NEA), Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment
* Established on October. 1996.
* From 1997, built and managed NEA's website specializing on Vietnam's environmental protection. Designed, built and maintained the operation of NEA's computer network; built environmental databases, information and reporting system, email system and NEA's electronic information; applied GIS in the field of environment. Implemented project of strengthening IT application capacity for NEA.
2003 - 2006: Centre for Environmental Information and Database (CEMDI) of Vietnam Environment Protection Agency, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment
* Managed IT infrastructure, computer network, website of VEPA. Continued to build up environmental database; collect and disseminate environmental information to community,
* Co-ordinated with World Bank to prepare Vietnam Environmental Monitor VEM 2003, 20M, 2005 on Water. Solid Wastes, Biodversity respectively.
* To be a focal point in managing environmental data, environmental monitoring data. 2006 - 2008: Centre for Environmental Monitoring, Data and Information (CEMDI) - Vietnam Environment Protection Agency Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment
* To be a focal point in collecting, storing and consistenly managing environmental monitoring data and environmental investigation. Built up documents and guidelines for implementing procedures, norms of environmental monitoring, regulations and technical guidelines of envi ronme ntal inform alio n and data
* Conducted environmental monitoring programs
* Built up Annual State of the Environment Report and other thematic environmental reports.
From December, 2008: Center for Environmental Monitoring (CEM) of Vietnam Environment Administration, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment.